The 7 Biggest Positive News Stories In New Jersey History
Today, we're bringing you some of the biggest news stories in Garden State History. They are listed in date order, beginning with the most recent.
1. 1987 - The (New Jersey!) Giants win their first Superbowl.
The former Giants Stadium in East Rutherford is rich in history. The venue was open from 1976 to 2010, played host to Pele's final futbol game and brought crowds of over 80,000 in when Pope John Paul II celebrated mass here on October 5, 1995. If you're curious, the Jets won their first Superbowl in 1968.
2. 1981- Bruce Springsteen 0pens the Brendan Byrne Arena.
3. 1976 - Voters approve legalizing gambling in Atlantic City.
4. 1957 - The Garden State Parkway is completed.
5. 1946 - Jackie Robinson broke organized baseball's color barrier at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City.
6. 1933 - America's first drive-in theater opens near Camden, New Jersey.
7. 1927 - The Holland Tunnel opens.
Of course, many other major events happened in New Jersey. In 1998, the Toms River East Little League team won the Little League World Series and in 1978, New Jersey scientists won the Nobel Prize for finding the echo of the Big Bang. Even still, that’s just that start. What New Jersey-related news stories do you remember most?