A brief history of Hillsdale
The populated area today known as Hillsdale took form in the mid-to-late 19th century as land speculators, led by David P. Patterson, developed subdivisions to profit from the coming of the Hackensack and New York Railroad (later New Jersey and New York Railroad). The area was incorporated as Hillsdale Township on March 25, 1898, from portions of Washington Township, which had, in turn, been set off from Harrington Township in 1840. Portions of the township were taken on April 30, 1906, to create the township of River Vale. Hillsdale was reincorporated as a borough by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 2, 1923, based on the results of a referendum held on April 24, 1923. The borough's name derives from its location in a "dale among the hills
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough had a total area of 2.957 square miles (7.659 km2), including 2.949 square miles (7.639 km2) of land and 0.008 square miles (0.020 km2) of water (0.26%). A small portion of Woodcliff Lake Reservoir lies inside the borough, at the southeast end of the reservoir, with Church Road following along the southern end of the spillway. The borough borders Ho-Ho-Kus, Park Ridge, River Vale, Saddle River, Washington Township, Westwood and Woodcliff Lake. Hillsdale Manor is an unincorporated community located within Hillsdale.
The Hillsdale Public Schools serves students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade. As of the 2014–15 school year, the district and its three schools had an enrollment of 1,859 students and 108.5 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 17.1:1. Schools in the district (with 2014-15 enrollment data from the National Center for Education Statistics) are Ann Blanche Smith School with 321 students in Kindergarten through 4th grade, Meadowbrook Elementary School with 307 students in grades Pre-K-4 and George G. White Middle School with 622 students in grades 5–8.
Public school students in ninth through twelfth grades attend Pascack Valley High School along with students from neighboring River Vale. The school is part of the Pascack Valley Regional High School District, which also serves students from Montvale and Woodcliff Lake at Pascack Hills High School. During the 1994-96 school years, Northern Valley Regional High School at Demarest was awarded the Blue Ribbon School Award of Excellence by the United States Department of Education. As of the 2017–18 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 1,214 students and 96.1 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.6:1.
Students from the borough, and all of Bergen County, are eligible to attend the secondary education programs offered by the Bergen County Technical Schools, which include the Bergen County Academies in Hackensack, and the Bergen Tech campus in Teterboro or Paramus. The district offers programs on a shared-time or full-time basis, with admission based on a selective application process and tuition covered by the student's home school district.
St. John's Academy is a Catholic school serving children in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade and operating under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. The school began as St. John the Baptist Parish School in 1955, and its current name was adopted in 1997 to reflect its collective sponsorship by St. John the Baptist, Hillsdale; St. Andrew's Church, Westwood; Our Lady Mother of the Church, Woodcliff Lake; St. Gabriel the Archangel, Saddle River; and Our Lady of Good Counsel, Washington Township.
Popular establishment offering pasta dishes & other traditional Italian meals in a refined setting.
2018 US Census Bureau, American Community Survey. Home value data includes all types of owner-occupied housing.